Sunday, April 20, 2008

Mussels

Mussels

DI tonight witnesses first hand my son's first real words. "Cheers!" he says as he clinks his plastic closed kiddie cup with our wine glasses and stubbies. A class act.

It's a crappy wet Sunday Autumn afternoon and my wife calls me to tell me she bought a kilo of cryovacced Boston Bay mussels. My partner in crime, DI and I b-line it for the bottle shop and the local shop before it shuts. Need tomatoes, garlic, pick parsley from the cafe garden, beer (Birra Moretti seeing as were doing Italian. . .). Better get Vodka too. Zubrowka at that. Tonic. Frozen water.

Anyway, we arrive. A 1.5 kg snapper, whole baked en papillotte hits the table (a credit to my wonderful wife who has a way with parchment and alfoil baked parcels!), with roasted spuds, corn and broccoli steamed to perfection. A short pause later and DI rinses off the mussels as I prep up the sauce:

olive oil to start
2 x Roma tomatoes
1/2 a Spanish onion
3 x cloves garlic, sliced coarsely
glass (don't be shy) of good white wine
small bunch parsley, chopped

Usual story, soften the onion in the oil in a heavy based pot, add tomato and garlic, then wine, cook off a little, throw mussels in and cover. When half of the mussels have opened, add the parsley. Cover again. Eat as soon as you can. Use the shells as a spoon to drink the leftover liquor. Yay!




No comments: